Sunday, March 2, 2008

Amazon MP3 Downloader and Slackware 12

Amazon finally released the MP3 downloader for Linux which enables Linux users to download full albums from their site. It works out of the box if you use Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, or OpenSUSE. There isn't a stock version for Slackware. So here's what I did:

  1. I downloaded the Fedora 8 RPM from the link above
  2. I went to SlackBuilds and downloaded, created, and installed SlackBuilds for (in order): libsigc++, glibmm, cairomm, and gtkmm.
  3. Then I downloaded and installed boost-1.34.1-i486-2gds.tgz from Linux Packages. Update 12/24/2008 I've found the hard way after I upgraded to Slackware 12.2 that the downloader will not work with a version of Boost > 1.34.1. Just do yourself a favor and use the Slackware 12.0 SlackBuild for Boost. You can thank me later.
  4. Finally I went into /usr/lib and created the following symbolic links to make everything work with what the Amazon MP3 Downloader is expecting to find:

ln -s libssl.so.0 libssl.so.6
ln -s libcrypto.so.0 libcrypto.so.6
ln -s libboost_date_time.so libboost_date_time.so.3
ln -s libboost_signals.so libboost_signals.so.3
ln -s libboost_iostreams.so libboost_iostreams.so.3
ln -s libboost_thread-mt.so libboost_thread-mt.so.3

Now it works great! I downloaded and am now enjoying Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Texas Flood." I wish it was a little simpler, but it wasn't too awfully painful. When you use Linux long enough you get pretty good at jumping through hoops.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks So much. Worked perfectly for me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. This little howto was very helpful. I'm happy to jump through a couple hoops to support DRM-free music on my distro of choice.

kudos,
-Chris

Anonymous said...

I am really wondering why you download "libsigc++, glibmm, cairomm, and gtkmm" from SlackBuilds.org (which is the right way to do something. But then suddenly switch to boost from lp.net.

Why not use the boost buildscript from SlackBuilds.org?

Matt said...

Michiel,

At the time, it was the path of least resistance. The Slackbuild would have worked great too. Actually right now I'm doing this all over again because I just upgraded to Slack 12.2 and I am using the Slackbuild for boost this time.

Matt said...

I think I remember why I went for a package instead of a SlackBuild. Boost is taking an eternity to compile. I think I've compiled kernels more quickly than this.